The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED) releases comprehensive crime data for all counties in the state. According to the statewide crime report published in 2017, Horry County’s law enforcement agencies reported 27 murders, 346 sexual batteries, 306 robberies, and 1,086 aggravated assaults. Property crime incidents included 2,330 burglaries, 11,267 larcenies, 1,318 motor vehicle thefts, and 60 arsons.

Comparing the 2013 and 2017 crime data, Horry County witnessed significant increases in murder (125%), sexual battery (57.3%), and larceny (6%) rates. However, there were notable decreases in robbery (18.6%), aggravated assault (4.5%), burglary (16.5%), and motor vehicle theft (0.3%) rates during the same period.

Click here to check this:

Accessing Criminal Records

The SLED offers statewide background checks for Horry County residents, available through the CATCH (Citizens Access to Criminal Histories) portal. The service costs $26, and residents can also request certified and/or notarized records through mail requests sent to the SLED Records Department, Columbia, SC 29221-1398, with a fee of $25.

Horry County has multiple law enforcement agencies, including the County Police Department, Horry County Sheriff’s Office, and others like Myrtle Beach and Conway Police Departments. Local criminal history records and police reports can be obtained from these respective agencies.

For local background checks, residents can visit the Horry County Sheriff’s Office located at 1301 Second Avenue, Conway, SC 29526. The service is free, and applicants need to provide a completed Records Check Request Form, along with a state-issued ID or a US Passport. Criminal records requests for others require a signed and notarized waiver from the individual in question.

Incident reports are available from the Horry County Police Department’s Records and Warrants Section, reachable at (843) 915-8004 or [email protected], or in person at 2560 Main Street, Suite 7, Conway, SC 29526.

Court Records

Horry County houses Circuit, Family, and Probate Courts at the Government & Justice Center, 1301 2nd Avenue, Conway, SC 29528. The Clerk of Court charges 50 cents per page for plain copies of court records and $1 per page for certified copies.

Magistrate Courts and Municipal Courts also serve the county, with online access provided through the Fifteenth Judicial Circuit Public Index Search. Physical visits can be made to these courts for records requests.

Vital Records

The South Carolina State Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) provides vital records services, including divorce certificates, birth, death, and marriage certificates. Divorce report copies can be obtained by submitting a completed DHEC Vital Records Marriage/Divorce Application, along with copy fees and valid photo ID, either in person at 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, SC 29201, or through mail requests to the same address. Fees are $12 for the first certified copy and $3 for each additional copy.

Similar procedures apply when requesting birth and death certificates, and marriage certificates require a specific application form. Mail requests should include the appropriate application, copy fees, and a valid photo ID, sent to DHEC Vital Records, 2600 Bull Street, Columbia, SC 29201.

Inmate Records

Horry County’s central repository for inmate records is the J. Reuben Long Detention Center, situated at 4150 J. Reuben Long Avenue, Conway, SC 29526. Friends and family can deposit funds into an inmate’s account via the facility’s kiosk in the front lobby, although a $3 transaction fee applies. Additionally, deposits can be made through Western Union, US Postal Service money orders, and IRS checks, addressed to the inmate at the same facility address.

For specific inmate inquiries, contact the facility at (843) 915-5140 or send faxes to (843) 365-0348. Access to inmate records is restricted and limited to authorized personnel, such as law enforcement officers, attorneys, and those directly involved in the inmate’s legal proceedings. Inquiries about an inmate’s status or personal information should be directed to the detention center during its operational hours. Inmate records are confidential and protected by privacy laws, requiring individuals to follow legal procedures and consult legal counsel for access, ensuring compliance with state and federal regulations.

Mugshot Information

Access to mugshot details in Horry County is regulated by privacy laws, balancing public information rights with individual privacy. Mugshots, considered public records, might be accessible through law enforcement agencies like the Horry County Sheriff’s Office and the J. Reuben Long Detention Center. However, their release is subject to state laws and regulations.

Individuals seeking mugshot information can inquire directly with relevant law enforcement agencies. Some agencies might publish mugshots on their websites or online databases, following specific policies. It’s crucial to note that the ethical and legal use of mugshot information is mandatory. Certain states have enacted laws limiting commercial use, and using mugshots for harassment or defamation can lead to legal consequences.

For accurate and current information on accessing inmate records and mugshot details in Horry County, individuals are encouraged to consult legal experts or directly contact the relevant law enforcement agencies. Legal professionals can guide the specific procedures and regulations governing the release of this information in the county. Please be aware that the provided details are accurate as of the publication date and are subject to change; for the latest information, direct contact with the authorities is recommended.


How can I obtain a copy of my own criminal record in Horry County?

To obtain a copy of your own criminal record, you can request a background check from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED). Visit the SLED CATCH portal or send a mail request to the SLED Records Department. There is a fee for this service, and you will need to provide identification and complete the necessary forms.

Can I request information about an inmate’s release date and charges in Horry County?

Information about an inmate’s release date and charges may be available through the J. Reuben Long Detention Center. Contact the detention center directly to inquire about an inmate’s status. Keep in mind that certain details might be restricted due to privacy and security concerns.

Are mugshots considered public records in Horry County?

Mugshots are generally considered public records, but their release is subject to legal restrictions and privacy considerations. You can inquire about obtaining mugshot details from the relevant law enforcement agencies in Horry County. However, the use and dissemination of mugshot information may be governed by specific laws and regulations.

How can I find out if a specific individual has a criminal record in Horry County?

To find out if a specific individual has a criminal record, you can request a background check through the SLED CATCH portal. You will need the individual’s consent and possibly a signed waiver to access their criminal history records. Alternatively, you can contact local law enforcement agencies for specific inquiries regarding criminal records.

Are there any restrictions on using mugshot images obtained from law enforcement agencies in Horry County?

Yes, there are restrictions on using mugshot images. While mugshots are public records, their use is often regulated by state laws. Using mugshots for commercial purposes, such as on websites that charge fees for access, might be restricted or prohibited. Additionally, using mugshots to harass, intimidate, or defame individuals could lead to legal consequences, including civil lawsuits.